The Port Townsend Main Street Program is a non-profit 501 (c) 3 organization:
Our mission is to preserve, promote and enhance our historic business districts.
“Main Street” is a philosophy, a program and a proven comprehensive approach to commercial district revitalization created by the National Trust for Historic Preservation. The revitalization process is centered in four volunteer committee areas: Promotion, Economics, Design and Organization. Under the Economics Committee, our Main Street Program also has a Property Owners’ Subcommittee, and the HUD Revolving Loan Committee. The Port Townsend Main Street Program is governed by an eleven-member board of directors which meets monthly. Special event and office volunteers work on projects throughout the year.
Main Street Committees
Organization (Executive Committee)
Goal: Oversees membership, fundraising and program administration.
- Membership Program and Annual Membership/Volunteer Party
- Quarterly Merchant breakfast seminars
- Main Street e-newsletter
- Website maintenance and Social Media
- Attend Quarterly Meetings/Manager Retreats
- Outreach activities—i.e. tours, offer workshops
- Tax Incentive Program
- The Taste of Port Townsend
- Concerts on the Dock
Goal: Strengthen and broaden the economic viability of the commercial historic districts.
- “Light at the End of the Tunnel” LENT Revolving Micro-loan fund
- Online Building and Business Inventory
- HUD Loan Program (application process Spring and Fall)
- Assist property owners/tenants/prospective business owners
- Disaster preparedness in the historic districts (collaborate & share information)
- Parking survey (conduct survey, collate information for the City)
Goal: Promote the historic districts as the town’s social, cultural and economic centers.
- Art Wave—Children’s Art in the Stores/May and Arts Fundraiser for schools
- Sizzling Sidewalk Sale
- “Girls’ Night Out”
- Merchant Welcome Signs for visiting groups
- The Uptown Street Fair event coordination and marketing assistance
- Downtown Trick or Treat & Costume Parade
- Victorian Holidays Celebration (Merchant Open House/Small Business Saturday, Treelighting/Santa Visit, Kiwanis Choo Choo Rides, Holiday Ornaments, Santa Shops Here, Yulefest, Lighted Décorations)
- Develop activities/ web page publicity to encompass Uptown and Downtown historic districts
- Merchant window themes
- Port Townsend Family Portrait (alternate years)
- Main Street 30th Anniversary Party –picnic on Taylor Street.
Goal: Enhance the character of the commercial historic districts through good design and public amenities compatible with historic features.
- Adams Street Park Design and Maintenance
- Educate members about importance of the character of the historic districts
- Earth Day Spring Clean Up
- Hanging Flower Basket Program
- Participate in city design processes
- Work in collaboration with city on streetscape plan
- Expand winter lighting/illumination of buildings
- Beautification of the historic district; Cotton Building restroom maintenance, rain garden maintenance, bird abatement program, and pressure wash sidewalks as resources allow.
- Historic building tours during Victorian Festival.
- Expand streetscape amenities compatible with historic districts’ needs as budget allows.
Committee Participation: City of Port Townsend Lodging Tax Advisory Committee, City Comp Plan, Port Townsend Artscape