The Port Townsend Main Street Program is a non-profit 501 (c) 3 organization:
Our mission is to preserve, promote, and enhance our historic business districts.
“Main Street” is a philosophy, a program and a proven comprehensive approach to commercial district revitalization created by the National Trust for Historic Preservation. The revitalization process is centered in four volunteer committee areas: Promotion, Economics, Design and Organization. Under the Economics Committee, our Main Street Program also has a Property Owners’ Subcommittee, and the HUD Revolving Loan Committee. The Port Townsend Main Street Program is governed by a board of directors which meets monthly. Special event and office volunteers work on projects throughout the year. Our nonprofit program is funded through memberships, sponsorships, grants, event income, donations and the Main Street Tax Incentive Program.
Main Street Committees
Organization (Executive Committee)
Goal: Oversees membership, fundraising and program administration.
- Membership Program and Annual Membership/Volunteer Party
- Main Street Coffee Talks–quarterly merchant meetings
- Main Street e-newsletter
- Website maintenance and Social Media
- Attend Quarterly Meetings/Manager Retreats
- Outreach activities—i.e. tours, offer workshops
- Tax Incentive Program
- The Taste of Port Townsend
- Concerts on the Dock
Goal: Strengthen and broaden the economic viability of the commercial historic districts.
- “Light at the End of the Tunnel” LENT Revolving Micro-loan fund
- HUD Loan Program (application process Spring and Fall)
- Assist property owners/tenants/prospective business owners
- Disaster preparedness in the historic districts (collaborate & share information)
- Create and distribute parking brochure
- Publicize vacant commercial spaces
Goal: Promote the historic districts as the town’s social, cultural and economic centers.
- Coordinate “Paving the Way to a Brighter Future” campaign during Water St. Enhancement Project
- Art Wave—Children’s Art in the Stores/May and Arts Fundraiser for schools
- “Girls’ Night Out”
- The Uptown Street Fair event coordination and marketing assistance
- Downtown Trick or Treat & Costume Parade
- Holidays Celebration (Merchant Open House/Small Business Saturday, Treelighting/Santa Visit, Kiwanis Choo Choo Rides, Holiday Ornaments, Lighted Décorations)
- Develop activities/ web page publicity to encompass Uptown and Downtown historic districts
- Merchant window themes
- Port Townsend Family Portrait (alternate years)
Goal: Enhance the character of the commercial historic districts through good design and public amenities compatible with historic features.
- Adams Street Park Design and Maintenance
- Educate members about importance of the character of the historic districts
- Earth Day Spring Clean Up
- Hanging Flower Basket Program
- Participate in city design processes
- Work in collaboration with city on streetscape plan
- Expand winter lighting/illumination of buildings
- Beautification of the historic district; Cotton Building restroom maintenance, rain garden maintenance, bird abatement program, and pressure wash sidewalks as resources/conditions allow.
- Expand Main Street Chairs and Tables to enhance the streetscape
- Expand streetscape amenities compatible with historic districts’ needs as budget allows.
Committee Participation: City of Port Townsend Lodging Tax Advisory Committee, Port Townsend Artscape